With two (often fussy) boys staples such as pasta and rice frequently find their way onto our dinner table. They are our ‘safe’ dinner foods and our boys will pretty much eat anything if is served with pasta.
When I was excitedly searching the internet for meals that required a food processor I came across this blog post on creamy cauliflower sauce (the blogger, Lindsey, has also released a Creamy Cauliflower Sauce eCookbook so it must be awesome, right?). Anyway, it sounded interesting, I had cauliflower in the fridge and I will try almost anything to get my boys to eat more vegetables.
We love our creamy chicken and bacon pasta so I thought I would mix it up, ditch the cream and try the cauli sauce. It was a HIT and is much healthier than the cream based alternative. Both boys gobbled it up so very quick and even asked for more.
Here is our adaptation of pinch of yum’s recipe. Please check the link out.
1 Chicken breast
Bacon (I’m not sure how much we put in)
Garlic (They recommend 8 cloves but we used a young green garlic bulb)
2 tablespoons butter
Half a large cauliflower (They recommend 5-6 cups cauliflower florets)
6 cups vegetable stock
Cracked pepper to taste (they suggest salt as well but we don’t usually add salt)
½ cup milk
1) Whiz the garlic in a food processor. Add garlic and butter to a frying pan and saute. Make sure you don’t brown it. Place it back in the food processor.
2) Roughly chop cauliflower and add it to a pot of boiling stock. Cook covered until tender.
3) Meanwhile chop and fry the bacon and chicken.
4) Once the cauliflower is tender transfer it into the food processor with a cup of the stock along with the butter and milk. Whiz it up until it is smooth and creamy.
5) Cook the pasta in the vegetable stock pot adding extra water, as needed.
6) Once the pasta is cooked, drain and return the pasta into the pot. Add the bacon, chicken and cauliflower sauce mix. Stir together over a warm heat until the temperature is even.
7) Serve in pasta bowls and enjoy!
Next time we will add some mushrooms.
Note to self – start using the good camera to take pics